Native Education Raising Dedicated Students
Dahkota Franklin Kicking Bear Brown is a proud California Miwok, Concow, Yuki enrolled with the Wilton Rancheria and ancestral ties to Round Valley Indian Tribes. As a student at Argonaut High School in Jackson, California, Dahkota was an active student athlete (former football player, thrower on Varsity track & field), performed with the advanced drama class and maintained a 4.2gpa also working hard as the elected Associated Student Body Treasurer. As a traditional dancer for his tribe, he enjoyed learning his Miwok language, beading gifts for others, and hunting with his family.
Under the nonprofit guidance of the Amador Community Foundation, Dahkota founded and trademarked the nonprofit organization, Native Education Raising Dedicated Students known as NERDS in 2012 also serving as President of the Executive Board. NERDS established 9 chapters with over 250 members in school clubs dedicated to improving lives of Native students through cultural awareness, education, and abuse prevention. NERDS had 100% success rate providing peer to peer mentoring and tutoring resulting in decreased dropout rates for Native students. NERDS encouraged growth in academics, athletics, cultural activities and community involvement.
- White House Youth Ambassador, White House Tribal Leaders Conference (2014), White House Steering Committee for Generation Indigenous (Gen I)
- Executive Advisory Board Member, Center for Native American Youth, Champion for Change (2013)
- Cabinet Member, National Congress of American Indians, Youth Cabinet
- Contributor MSNBC, Center for American Progress, testimony for California Assemblyman Alejo California bill AB30 to ban the use of the R**skins mascots at four schools in California.
- Outstanding Young Leader (2014) UNITY’s “25 Under 25”
- Hearst Foundation Scholarship Award (2015) United States Senate Youth Program
7/21/14 – Dahkota Kicking Bear Brown is a guest of the White House for “My Brother’s Keeper”.